Tuesday, March 24, 2009

More Laos...

I am fearful that all my Laos picture will end up sitting on my hard drive never to see the light of day. Before too much time passes I figure I should continue to share them and hope that one day I will do more than just put them on my blog.
This next batch is from the middle part of our hill tribe trek. We left the Hmoung village early in the morning. Leaving was tough, the people were so friendly & welcoming that if I were younger and w/o the need to get home I think I could have stayed for a month or two to really soak their way of life in. Instead we pushed on. The first image is the last woman I saw as I was leaving the village. She was cleaning her machete and had the brightest smiles for me. About 20 minutes out of the village we came were passed by about 20 school kids. We all have heard the "I walked 5 miles uphill to school" line from the generations ahead of us, well these kids did have a tough hike to and from school every day. I can't imagine what the trail is like in the rainy season. They were as curious about us as we were about them. Then we arrived at a Khamou village that sat above the clouds. The setting was so picturesque. Again the people were very welcoming. We came across a man forging a metal knife. We were constantly flabbergasted by their ingenuity. As you will see I just couldn't stop taking pictures of the people. I was definitely in Heaven!











No comments: