Monday, September 15, 2014

The importance of photos

I have been fortunate to photograph this family of six for a few years running.  I am grateful for their return each year and am always amazed at the growth and change that takes place in a year.  Earlier this year, I received an email sharing an image from a wall of their home.
It was fun to see what she created from the years of imagery.  While we were in the midst of this sitting, she mentioned a few times to her kids, "Remember, this is going is for the photo wall."  The kids would straighten right up and fall in line, leaving me to believe they loved the photos on the wall as much as their mom did.
This reminded me of something I heard many years ago from another client.  She filled her home with wall canvases of all sizes of her four children.  When I visited her home, she said, "I think some people may think I am a narcissist with pictures of my family all over my home, but seeing my children's smiles always makes me smile AND someone once told me that it is important for children to see themselves in pictures.  It is good for their self esteem to see happy, beautiful images of themselves."  I have come to believe this very true from my own childhood experience with limited images, my children's experience with numerous images in our home and now through seeing these children's' reaction to their mom's mention of their photo wall.

I appreciate her sharing this image with me and giving me the opportunity to add to her photo wall.
I hope she loves these images as much as she has loved years past.

No comments: