Wednesday, October 16, 2013

An eight year retrospective

For the past 8 years, I have been traveling to El Paso to photograph families.  I am asked all the time, "El Paso...why El Paso?"  My husband & I lived in El Paso for his first year of residency.  When we moved back to Seattle, I had one remaining wedding scheduled in El Paso (one of the last weddings I would do for my career).  When I flew to EP for the wedding, I traveled with my 8 wk old son and decided to maximize my travel and I scheduled 8 family sittings as well.  That was the beginning of it all.  I cannot believe it has been 8 years since we left.
For the first time, after the sitting that I am sharing here, I decided to look back at their images from the past and I decided to share them along with their new images.  It is really incredible to see the changes that happen and how easy it is to forget what kids used to look like as little people because the image is replaced with their current, older appearances.  As a mom, looking at these pictures was a reminder of how important and valuable images throughout my kids lives are important.  That may sound silly coming from a photographer, but even I dismiss the value in my own life.
This is a huge image dump...37 pictures.  But I wanted to share the progression of these beautiful kids' life. They have grown so much, but not much has changed...the love (for each other & their dogs), spunk, thoughtfulness and beauty that I saw 8 years ago is consistent.  Getting to see them grow, it is fun looking at the pictures and know that the beauty represented in the images reflects their internal beauty.  These kids are amazing people!
The last picture I share is to document the home they have known their entire life.  A home they will be moving from in the next year or two.  A home that has been in their family for generations and their parents have opened to me so graciously with each visit.
It is important to capture the progression of our childrens' lives and I thank this very special family for allowing me to be the photographer to do that for them and for providing me a place to continue returning to El Paso.





































  

No comments: